Pinning up chrysalis'

A few days ago I pinned up the 5 Papilio canadensis chrysalis on the side of the screen tent that I have set up outside. I thought that it would be the best way to ensure that they experience natural weather conditions. Earlier I had relegated each of the large caterpillars to their own tupperware container (make sure to change the sprigs of host plant every day).



Once the caterpillars pupate I clipped the twigs and pulled off all the old leaves. Acctually it is incredibly important to remove all the dead leaves and caterpillar frass (caterpillar poo is called frass), especially after the caterpillar has pupated because this is really the only time that the frass is wet. If you're not careful mould will grow and you risk killing the pupa.




0 comments:

Post a Comment